Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Heretic Writes

I am born. My birthday is April 3rd. I am told I am an Aries, the first sign of the zodiac. Apparently, we Aries like to be first, are courageous, selfish and pompous asses. We are warriors. I can live with that.

To have spoken those words a few centuries ago would have cost some poor hags their lives tied to a bonfire. Predicting the future was heresy. Being of the wrong opinion was heresy. Making statements outside the dominant religion was heresy. Any of those actions cost people their reputations, their livelihoods, even their lives. If you said or did something to provoke someone with a lot more power than you, you paid dearly for it.

Some things never change.

We live in a time more so now since the Inquisition when the cost of speaking one's mind is far too much for many people. Like the Inquisition, we live in a time when those who point the finger say they are only doing it for our good, and that they are the holiest of people. They know better than we. For our own good and for the good of society, if you or I have the wrong opinion, or the wrong thoughts, as far as they are concerned, we are ash beneath the fire.

I say let's you and I rise out of those ashes and give the hypocrites hell.

I write. I read. I opinionate. I research. I state facts. I back up my claims. I even make astute observations now and then. I don't jump through hoops. A few days ago, a pal said that I should take credit for my writings. I decided to do just that. So, if you hate what I write, here I am. Come get me. I love haters, the real ones, for I spend a lot of time examining them, writing about them, and exposing them. You are forewarned; it has been my experience that the face of real hate comes with angel wings. I am liable to point out the bat wings 'neath your feathers.

What is heresy? a quick perusal and copy/paste out of an internet dictionary states:
    1. An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.
    2. Adherence to such dissenting opinion or doctrine.
    1. A controversial or unorthodox opinion or doctrine, as in politics, philosophy, or science.
    2. Adherence to such controversial or unorthodox opinion.
We are surrounded by a lot of doctrines these days that take on the characteristic of a religion--that is, a belief system. Political correctness is just one example of such a religion. Say the wrong thing and you must repent, and even then, you are forever branded in the eyes of the political correctness lords, and those who are afraid of the lords.

We have all but lost our rights to freedom of speech in America. And then will go freedom of thought. Only those who hold the most power are allowed to have "dissenting" opinions. If you oppose those people you will be lumped under some serious epithets, and an example will be made of you to scare all the others. "Controversy" and "unorthodoxy" have become mere euphemisms to make light of situations that the powers that be want you to ignore.

To be a true heretic does take courage. It means doing battle. It means getting hurt. It means facing some enemies. Those are trivial consequences for the deeper purposes of being a heretic: to reveal the truth when everyone else believes lies. I think George Orwell said it best:

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
People die for what they think everyday. Hopefully, that won't happen to us, but know it is happening to someone right now.

Welcome to my blog.

Ralph Iver

No comments:

Post a Comment